Friday 25 January 2013

Defining Design

Design has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. As a child, one of the things I looked forward to the most was the semi-annual room exchange at my best friend's house. You see... she had two sisters and there were only two rooms to share between the three girls. So every six months, they would rotate to keep it fair: one full year of sharing with a sibling and then six months of peaceful bliss. I didn't care if Jill had to share or not... I was ecstatic for the opportunity to help her re-invent her new space. Somedays, when I was all alone, I would sketch imaginary house plans (to scale I might add) in my secret binder. My friends were drawing horses and unicorns and I'm sure I would have been looked down upon, lol! Looking back, it is obvious that my path would eventually lead me to where I am: a full-time interior design student at the school of my dreams. I have never felt more fulfilled.

Few things in life get me as excited as flipping through an Interior Design magazine and finding a "room of my dreams". Or seeing an old house and knowing exactly what I could do to make it perfect. For me, a great interior designer can not only make a space beautiful and functional, but can do it to suit their client's style, not necessarily their own.

This blog is intended to be a break down of different styles... a sort of "Design Style For Dummies". I will be defining design as I see it. I promise you, I will be learning along with you. There are literally hundreds of different design styles and I know nothing about many of them. I am on the hunt for inspiring blogs, pictures, videos... you name it, to help me (and you) discover design together. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting! I love design blogs, I can't wait to learn more about it!

    ReplyDelete