Sunday 10 March 2013

Modern Country

I'll shamelessly admit it... I'm a Pinterest addict. I can't help myself. Whatever your love... you can find the best images of whatever you are looking for, and organize it for easy reference later. I've spent more hours than I would like to admit scouring pictures of interiors, and I can't help but notice that one style has been popping up more than ever lately. I dug a little deeper and was surprised that this style that had been catching my eye is called "Modern Country".

I will admit, I cringe when I hear the word country. I know many of you may love the laid back style, but for a modern loving gal like myself, it feels cluttered and messy. My childhood home was stylish at the time... frilly aqua and teal floral print curtains, mixed with burgundy leather couches and dried flower arrangements and little knick knacks that made dusting the worst job on the chore list. Seriously. Although the style was definitely not country, it had many of the same elements that I have come to detest. There was no way I would (or could) like something labelled "Modern Country".

So what is modern country? While searching for images, I stumbled upon a great blog that sums up Modern Country perfectly... A mix of natural wood, whites and creams. Fresh and modern mixed with some rustic elements. I can see the appeal... Just the right mix of modern and cozy. It's the perfect kind of interior to put your DIY projects into. It's not too precious or perfect... a "real" home for the modern-ish family. This is not the country style I love to hate.






This dining room was featured in Style at Home's Top 12 interiors of 2012 and fits the description. Light, bright and airy, natural wood tones with antique light fixtures to add charm. 


Another appealing aspect to a Modern Country interior is the ability to use furniture you already own. For example, a mini DIY project can instantly change the look of grandma's chairs you inherited. The plus side of Modern Country is that it's not supposed to be perfect, which means anybody can take it on! Once again, Pinterest can supply an endless amount of inspiration and links to tutorials. How about this picture which shows random chairs painted a single colour to unify them. Set in an all white room, the greenery outside shines and adds to the charm of the room. 

White Rustic Dining Room



I believe Pottery Barn may have a little something to do with Modern Country gaining some serious popularity. Another amazing blog I discovered shows you how to get Pottery Barn looks with Ikea finds, for a fraction of the cost. For example, the image below can easily be created by throwing a coat of white paint on an oak table that can be bought for next to nothing at any second hand store. Or maybe you already have one sitting in your kitchen just waiting for a makeover. Paired with these chairs from Ikea, and you have your very own Modern Country dining room. 



I love this idea for small entrances... White walls, a rough board, modern brackets and voila! Instant Modern Country on a dime. 


Whether you love or hate country (or thought you hated country), I hope this blogged inspired you to create a Modern Country look of your own! I know it inspired me. :)



Links:




http://www.styleathome.com/homes/interiors/top-12-interiors-of-2012/a/45930/8

No comments:

Post a Comment